South Carolina has formed a 17-member Task Force, created by Proviso 1.114 of the 2022-23 General Appropriation Act, to provide the governor and the General Assembly with recommendations for potential reforms to our efforts to recruit and retain teachers in public schools. The task force plans to make recommendations in the areas of:
(1) increasing recruitment to the teaching profession;
(2) improving teacher preparation;
(3) transforming compensation for teachers;
(4) enhancing the effectiveness of teacher evaluation;
(5) improving working conditions for all teachers; and
(6) identifying best practices from other jurisdictions and designing them for South Carolina.
Educators will be given the opportunity to share their perspectives on issues that impact their profession, particularly in relation to entering and staying in the classroom. Below are the dates, times, and venues for the upcoming listening sessions.
March 13: 4:30-6:30 p.m. Francis Marion University's Chapman Auditorium on Alumni Drive in Florence.
March 20: 4:30-6:30 p.m. Blatt Building, Room 110 - 1105 Pendleton Street on the Statehouse grounds in Columbia.